LED Grow Lights for Horticulture
We constantly improve our product range and efficiency, optimize production process and components pricing and lead times. We work only with world’s leading electronic component manufacturers for our LED grow light production. The company has representative offices in USA in California and Massachusetts and Texas.
A combination of LED wavelength and intensity our LED plant lights for greenhouses simulate electromagnetic emission spectrum optimal for photosynthesis of certain plants. For every type and development stage of plant we have developed a specific spectrum that takes into account daylight zone.
The results of research made on Indoor Grow Lights proved them to be highly efficient in growing vegetables and considerable economy of energy compared to traditional HPS grow lights for growing in greenhouses.
Purpose and Technological Features of LED Grow Lights for Horticulture
Genesis Scientific line-up of LED grow lights for commercial greenhouses and vertical farms:
• Full Spectrum;
• Propagation Spectrum;
• Vegetation Spectrum;
• Flowering Spectrum;
• Fruiting Spectrum
Advantages of LED Grow Lighting for Indoor Gardening from Genesis Scientific
• Energy efficiency: up to 60% decrease of energy consumption in a greenhouse;
• Possibility to increase greenhouse area without additional energy generation facility;
• Increase in production and better uniformity of fruits;
• Little degradation of light output compared to traditional MH (Metal Halide) and HPS (High Pressure Sodium) bulbs, no need for replacing lamps every 2-3 years. Using LED grow lights from Genesis Scientific affords to increase maintenance interval more than 2 times;
• Low heat generation that allows to install LED grow lighting closer to plants, thus reducing light loss and energy consumption;
• Low shadow footprint;
• Possibility to select the type of LED lights with different variants of spectrum depending on application;
• High ingress protection;
• High quality and efficiency of LEDs;
• Only quality components from world leaders in LED grow light production for plant grow;
• Manufactures warranty for plant grow lights.
We are always open to discuss and meet customer needs based on project requirements. We offer only the best LED lights for growing from the manufacturer.
LED Grow Lights Guide
Nowadays LED lighting is a reality in households and commercial lighting. LED grow lights are not exception. With the help of LEDs you can arrange most efficient lighting for your plants, while it will be providing much better growth and development of plants that when using alternative technologies. But still LED technology has a range of peculiarities that need to me considered, and therefore we recommend to study this article. Will try to cover the topic of LED lighting for plants and help you chose Best LED Grow Lights for your projects.
Contents:1 Indoor Plant Lights: Device and Working Principle
2 What to Pay Attention to When Choosing LED Plant Lights?
2.1 LED Grow Lights for Growing Cannabis
2.2 Grow Lights for Sedlings
2.3 Cost of LED Grow Lights
3 Why Should You Use LED Grow Lights
3.1 Advantages of LED Lighting
3.2 Disadvantages of LED Grow Lights and Application Peculiarities
3.3 Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights
3.4 Effect of Wavelength on Plants
Indoor Plant Lights: Device and Working Principle
Before we start thinking about how efficient LED lighting is, let us review different types of plant grow lights and their working principles. Lights for growing plants can be in various form factors, but the main difference is the way of heat dissipation from LEDs, i.e. cooling method. Any type of LED grow lights has their advantages and disadvantages. No matter what form factor and cooling method, any plant grow lights working principle is same.
Let’s see what modern LED Grow Light consist of:
As a rule, LED grow light consist of several dozens, or even hundreds of LEDs. The more LEDs there are in a LED light, the higher its power and more efficiently it lights the plants beneath. LEDs may vary in power, PPF, efficiency, as well as spectrum.
LEDs assembled onto PCBs are called LED modules. During production of professional LED grow lights manufacturers usually use metal core PCBs, mainly having aluminum or copper core. This is done to effectively transfer heat from LEDs to cooling system.
The application of cooling system is to transfer heat from an LED. This is a very serious issue in LED industry. The top side of LED emits almost no heat, whereas the heat is transferred through heat slug to heat sink. LED light housing can serve as heat sink, or heat sink may be placed into LED grow lights housing. Aluminum works as heat sink, as it has high thermal conductivity and has excellent heat dissipation characteristics. Let us look at what kinds of heat sinking methods exist now.
We can point out several cooling methods in LED grow lights:
- Passive Cooling. LED Lights for growing plants with passive cooling have a number of advantages compared to active cooling. First and most obvious advantage is longevity and simplicity. With passive cooling while developing an LED luminaire for plants engineers do thermal simulation for LED housing. To passively cool high power LED grow lights the housings must have very large surface and sometimes intricate form.
- Active Air Cooling. LED luminaires with active cooling are more complex. To dissipate heat into the air usually aluminum heat sinks are used together with fans, This kind of heat dissipation has both pros and cons. Low weight and small size of high power LED grow lights are the biggest advantages of this kind of cooling. The disadvantage is higher complexity of the system, and if fan goes out of order your system worth several hundred dollars may be ruined.
- Water Cooling. This type of cooling allows us to get very high power and photon flux in extremely compact size. To dissipate heat from a very high power LED light, housing alone is not enough. Water is a good solution for this. The disadvantage of this type of system will be complexity of the system, as alone with electrical issues, plumbing tasks have to be tackled. This requires a whole plumbing work, pumps to make water circulate, chiller to cool the heat. Nonetheless, this type of cooling is a great solution in contained environments like climate chambers, or trendy now shipping containers for growing vegetables, as it allows to get most compact luminaires with high power and decrease degradation of LEDs.
Power supply and control systems
All LED components of a plant lamp are assembled onto a circuit board and connected to power supply. To control spectrum, different channels of the circuit are dimmed or switched off. Power supplies may be either built-in or remote.
LEDs have quite wide emission angle, usually 120deg, although some exotic angles like 80 or 150deg also produced by some manufacturers. Secondary optics is used in LED grow lights only in case when the manufacturer wants to focus the beam on a certain surface thus increasing PPFD. This is not good on a large scale project, as uniformity and cost of the project will be compromised.
What to Pay Attention to When Choosing LED Plant Lights?
While choosing LED Lights one should take into consideration plant needs and specifics. If light loving plants are given insufficient light then its fruiting activity is greatly reduced. Same situation with shade loving plants. The plants can be categorized into groups:
- Long day plants;
- Short day plants.
In the first case, the lighting should last at least 12 hours a day, while in the second case 8-10 hours. It should be noted that plant development stage should also be considered, as seedlings do not need as much light as for example flowering plant.
LED Grow Lights for Growing Cannabis
What is the best light for growing cannabis? How to chose LED grow light for growing cannabis from the wide variety on the market? This is the question many beginner growers ask. Let us find out what LED lights are best for cannabis cultivation.
Every grower wants his plant to look healthy and have good yields. For this, cannabis should not only be supplied with the needed amount of heat, humidity and fertilizers, but also with optimal lighting. Light is one the key factors of successful plant growth, photosynthesis directly depends on the amount of light and its quality.
It’s a fact that different strains of marijuana require different light duration. To make photoperiodic strains of marijuana transfer from vegetation to flowering stage, lighting mode should be changed. Traditionally in the vegetation period the lights are supplied with 18 hours of lighting. In theory, if light deprivation is not used, then photoperiodic marijuana will not go to flowering stage. In natural conditions cannabis will flower at shortening day light. If you grow cannabis indoors, it will flower after you change lighting mode to 12 hours light and 12 hours of darkness.
Autoflowering breeds of cannabis do not depend on photoperiod and will flower according to their genetic data. Growing autoflowering sorts indoors, most growers prefer to stick to 18/6 lighting mode during the whole life cycle. Despite of autoflowering breeds do not depend much on lighting mode, there is data proving spectrum is crucial for them. With blue shifted light during vegetation, vegetative growth is stimulated. On flowering stage, more shift should be done on red part of spectrum, this will enhance flowering and you will end up with more generous yields.
Mistakes that people make in cannabis lighting.
It’s a fact that light is important for plants, however it is need withing certain limits that are called DLI (day light integral). Excess or deficiency of light is harmful to plants.
In first case the plants will stretch, bend and warp. As a result, long and weak stems can not bear the weight of the buds and spend extra energy for delivering water to leaves, although they could spend that energy on extra flowers. As a result, 30-40% of crops is lost.
In the case of light oversaturation the plants will have light burns. At light burn part of chlorophyll is decomposed and leaves turn yellow and dry, the plant growth and development slows down or stops. This is most common when light sources are placed too close to plant tips.
Grow Lights for Seedlings
We should point out that supplemental lighting is crucial for seedlings in greenhouses.
- Firstly, special models of lights that are designed for quick young plant development allows to obtain more sturdy seedlings within shorter period of time.
- Secondly, it’s easy to control LED assimilation lighting so it’s easier to control day light integral.
- It is very important that LED grow lights do not emit much heat, so there is no risk of damage to plants owing to high temperature.
Cost of LED Grow Lights
Among the technologies that are used for greenhouse lighting LED technology is most economic. LED grow lighting cost a lot, but they break even quickly due to several reasons:
- LEDs consume up to 60% less electricity.
- Their lifetime is several times longer that other technologies.
- They are very robust and hard to break, which is not true with conventional lamps.
Why Should You Use LED Grow Lights?
Artificial lighting can control plant development, accelerate or hinder flowering, shift harvesting time. Once you extend day light the long day plantndevelopment will accelerate, which means the crops can be earlier delivered to the market. On the contrary, extending day light will slow down flowering of short day plants. LED grow lights are perfect for these tasks.
LED lights for plants will allow to maximally mimic sunlight. This can be done during all life cycle of your plants.
The thing is, that LED luminaire spectrum for plants is very similar to sunlight, therefore up to 96% of light is used by the plants. Additional advantage is that harmful wavelengths are not emitted by the luminaire.
And the main advantage of LEDs is that they provide the plants with needed spectrum. It’s best for their development and growth.
Advantages of LED Lighting
The advantages of LED grow lights are:
- Lower power consumption compared to MH or HPS;
- Low heat emission;
- Full spectrum available;
- Longevity- up to 50K hours;
- Possible to use as supplemental lighting;
- Low weight and size;
- Easy to install;
- Can be automatically controlled;
- High energy efficiency;
- Environmentally friendly- no mercury or other harmful or hazardous substances.
Disadvantages of LED Grow Lights and Application Peculiarities
Still although the advantage list is so long, LEDs are not commonly used for greenhouses.
What is the reason?
- First disadvantage is high capital cost of LED grow light equipment. LED luminaires cost 3-5 times more than similar products with alternative technologies, and not so many companies are ready to such investments.
- Second disadvantage- LEDs still degrade by up to 10% within 2-3 years.
- If you need to do large area supplemental lighting, e.g. greenhouse, you will need more lamps.
- Heat dissipation is problematic, and in closed surroundings like climate chambers you still have light emission for LED grow lights, and this heat need to be transported from the chamber outside.
Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights
We should separately mention Full spectrum LED Grow Lights. These lights have optimal spectrum for plant growth, flowering and fruiting. Full spectrum LED grow lights are assembled with modules that have optimal amount of light in PAR spectrum.
Advantages of Full spectrum LED Grow Lights:
- Transition from narrow band LEDs to full spectrum LED in the range 400-740nm, that looks closer to sun light.
- Full spectrum is good for all stages of plant growth which was not the case with narrow band LEDs.
- The problem with simultaneous growth of plants in different development stage is solved.
These advantaged of full spectrum LED grow lights afford us to come close to sun light quality.
Effect of Wavelength on Plants
Sun light spectrum consists of different wavelengths, and the plants use some of them